Saturday, May 24, 2008

Bakery - Louise Kirk Persona

Dear Sister:
Just this day I have found employment in Columbia. It is a fine position; I will be working at the Bakery.
My position is that of assistant baker and saleswoman for Mrs. White. Mrs. White is the owner of the Bakery as Mr. White passed away leaving her with some money to invest. And with the laws in California letting married women own property this has worked out quite well for Mrs. White. The Bakery is a fine establishment with a good reputation in the area.
I truly am impressed with the quality of Mrs. White’s Merchandise, and will be proud to sell her products. Mrs. White says that when a customer comes into the Bakery I am to say, “How may I assist you.” And Mrs. White also says that she will help me with the weighing of the Gold Dust and how she likes to make her bread and products. I have so much to learn.
Although it will be a long walk to and from Springfield I assured Mr. Cannon that all his laundry and meals and a clean house would be kept the same order as now. But I do worry about this winter and walking in the rain and snow. Oh well, I endured worse coming to the Mines.
Now I feel that even if Mr. Cannon does not succeed in mining at least we will not starve. And I may have some extra money to send back home to you dear Sister. You are such a dear to watch over my children.
Please give my love to all of yours and mine. I do miss my children; give them an extra hug for both Mr. Cannon and myself.
At last, “A Fine Position”
Love Always,
Bedelia Cannon
Springfield, California

No comments: